At Port Stanley Heritage, we respect our members' and users' privacy. That's why we've adopted the CSA Model Code as the basis for our own Privacy Code, which sets out the principles that govern the collection, use and disclosure of our members' and users' personal information.
The CSA Model Code also forms the basis for the Canadian federal government's privacy legislation, the "Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act", which came into effect on January 1, 2001. Our Privacy Code is designed to ensure that we are in full compliance with this legislation.
The following is a brief summary of our privacy practices.
Why we collect personal information
If you are a member, we have some basic information about you. We understand that some of this information is private, which is why we collect personal information only for the following purposes:
- To establish and maintain a responsible commercial relationship with you. For example, when you purchase an item from us, we collect information that allows us to confirm your identity and credit history so that we can accurately bill and collect for the products and services that you receive from us. We may also collect credit card or bank account information.
- To understand your needs and preferences. We maintain a record of the products and services you have received from us, and we may ask for additional information so that we can serve you better. For example, we may ask for your e-mail address.
- To develop, enhance, market or provide products and services. For example, we look at how members and customers use our products and services, so that we can understand how to improve them.
- To meet legal requirements or obligations. For example, we may collect information in response to a court order, or to satisfy a request by a government agency.
When do we disclose personal information?
There is a variety of circumstances where we may need to disclose some personal information about our members and customers. Here are some examples:
- We may disclose a member or customer's personal information to a person who, in our reasonable judgement, is seeking the information as an agent of the customer. For example, we may provide information about a member or customer's account to the customer's legal representative if we are satisfied that that individual is requesting the information on behalf of the customer.
- We may disclose a member or customer's personal information to a company or individual employed by us to perform functions on its behalf, such as research or data processing; or an agent used by us to evaluate the customer's credit worthiness or to collect the customer's account. Any such disclosure of a member or customer's personal information outside of Port Stanley Heritage is made on a confidential basis with the information to be used only for the purpose for which it was disclosed.
- Subject to applicable regulations, we may disclose a member or customer's personal information to a credit reporting agency.
- In conjunction with special offers or programs, we may disclose member or customers' personal information to our program partners, or to third-party agents responsible for administering such offers or programs. Any such disclosure is made on a confidential basis with the customer's express consent.
How do we protect your personal information?
In order to protect your personal information and your right to privacy, we:
- will not collect, use or disclose your personal information for any purpose other than those identified above, except with your consent;
- will protect your personal information with appropriate security safeguards;
- will protect the confidentiality of your personal information when dealing with other companies;
- will strive to keep your personal information as accurate and up-to-date as is necessary for the purposes identified above; and
- will honour any request you may make for access to your personal information.
What are your choices?
We would like to have your consent to continue to collect, use and disclose your personal information for the purposes identified above. However, you do have choices and can refuse or withdraw your consent as follows:
- You may have your name removed from our telephone, mail or e-mail marketing lists. We use these lists to inform you of relevant products, services and special offers that may be of benefit to you.
- You may refuse to provide personal information to us. You may also withdraw your consent at any time, subject to legal or contractual restrictions and reasonable notice. However, in either case, this may limit our ability to serve you.
If you have any questions or concerns about our privacy practices, please contact us. Otherwise, we will assume that we have your consent to continue to collect, use and disclose your personal information for the purposes identified above.